BUILDING A SOLAR HOUSE IN FRANCE - WEEK 14 - finishing gable cladding, some windows installed
[Page 1 of 1]
- Page 1
The week began with a rush to finish putting linseed oil on the larch cladding, and other finishing touches, before Gary Marsden came to take down the scaffolding on Wednesday morning. The weather didn't help as it rained on and off every day.
Because of the weather, I could not get onto the roof to oil the cladding and stain the fascia and beam. After I had finished on the roof, I intended to make a temporary frame with protective polythene over it, to prevent the rain blowing into the house and staining the oak frame and beams.
On Thursday Mr Dubuisson sent Jean-Luc and his team to fit the windows that he had already made in advance - all the standard windows and glazed doors (porte-fenÍtres) in the basement, and half of the main floor windows.
The porte-fenÍtre in the guest bedroom.
view from south of window being fitted.
My studio (atelier) sliding door.
View from south west on Thursday afternoon. It was dull, warm and drizzed all day, and I still had not finished the frame and polythene protection for the roof light. That night it rained heavily with high winds from the west, and all the interior oak was thoroughly soaked. Not exactly a catastrophe, but very annoying because it will mean a lot more sanding down of the frame and beams to clean off the water marks.
Also on Thursday, at the same time as the windows were being fitted, Mr Marcelin MaziŤres sent Johnathan and Fabrice. 2 of his carpenters, to fit the rest of the ceiling joists and try to finish the framing for the cladding on the south east side. They did not quite finish, and did not come on Friday. I may have to finish the framing myself if I can't persuade them to come back next week.
The windows on the north-east side. The glazed door from the kitchen on the left will have to be taken out and remade, as it was hinged on the wrong side, and I can use the old one as a door into the future greenhouse (serre solaire).
On Friday I spent the day clearing up after the storm and finishing the frame and polythene for the roof window. More very bad weather is predicted for the weekend, and the permanent frame and glazing will not now be made until the New Year and together with all the other glazed sliding doors and windows, may not be ready until the end of January. We are disappointed about the delay, but if I make temporary frames with polythene, I can get on the interior partitions and suspended floors and ceilings in the meantime.
Polythene temporary roof window and framing ready for polythene for the sliding glass door to balcony.
View of interior from direction of bedroom.
View from south corner of living room, showing sun penetration in late winter afternoon.
My improvised workbench using 15x10 cm Douglas fir beams.
View down from mezzanine. Wood for timber framing for partitions and suspended insulated floors stored on mezzanine.
View on mezzanine looking from spare bedroom direction.
Album last updated on Feb 16, 2008 - 03:47 AM